Yahoo Weather

You are here

Maggio admits comments, quits race

Judge Mike Maggio has admitted to being the author of inappropriate comments on an LSU college message board and has withdrawn from the race for the Arkansas Court of Appeals.

Reports surfaced earlier this month on the Blue Hog Report blog that under the name “geauxjudge,” Maggio had made comments about women, sex and other inappropriate subjects as well as allegedly discussing an adoption case out of Faulkner County involving actress Charlize Theron.

After the reports surfaced alleging Maggio’s participation, the state Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission confirmed that Maggio was under investigation.

David Sachar, executive director of JDDC, said in a statement:

“The JDDC is aware of the allegations that were reported Monday, including the alleged release of confidential information by Circuit Judge Mike Maggio. Under Rule 7C(3) I can confirm the pendency of an investigation by this agency. The judge will have full due process rights during our litigation of this matter. Procedural rules of the JDDC will determine the timing of the events in the case including when more public information is available. This office does not anticipate issuing further public statement until the case concludes with dismissal, agreed resolution or public charges.”

Maggio continues as a circuit court judge for Van Buren, Faulkner and Searcy counties through the end of the year.

Last Wednesday night, Maggio released a statement admitting that he made the comments attributed to him and said he would withdraw as a candidate for the Arkansas Court of Appeals.

Maggio’s statement said:

I take full responsibility for the comments that have been attributed to me.

I apologize deeply for my lapse in personal judgment and for that, I have no excuse.

The comments posted were not acceptable. These comments are not a reflection of who I am.

During my life, I have prided myself in treating all fairly and with respect, both personally and professionally. My friends, family and colleagues know me and can appropriately attest to how I have treated others. I stand by their opinion and regret letting them down.

I ask for both yours and God’s forgiveness. My actions are not indicative or illustrative of the conservative political philosophy of which I hold dear.

It is a shame that the politics of personal destruction take precedence along with the win at all costs mentality that results in the disjunction.

At this time, in light of the pain I have caused to my family, friends, supporters, the Judicial Branch, and the public, I have requested that the Secretary of State remove me from the ballot.

I would ask you to respect my family’s need for privacy so we can being the healing process of forgiveness.

Close
The Van Buren County Democrat website is available only to print and digital subscribers. If you are already a subscriber, you can access the website at no additional charge.