Judges hear cases, set new dates
Custom Search 2
Van Buren County Circuit Court has been a busy place the past month.
On Aug. 13, 20th Circuit Division 3 Judge David Reynolds held court.
Here are some of the cases:
• A pretrial hearing was set for Aug. 16 for Donna Williams, 43, charged with theft of property. She is accused of stealing money from Eoff Furniture where she was an employee.
• A jury trial was scheduled for Oct. 11 for Benjamin F. Pierce, 60. He is charged with being a registered sex offender living near school/daycare. The defendant is in custody, court papers say.
• Michael Joseph Folkenroth, 19, charged with arson and residential burglary, was scheduled for pretrial on Oct. 9. An Act III mental evaluation has been ordered for Folkenroth.
• Walter Johnson, 41, charged with theft by receiving, was set for pretrial on Oct. 9. He is a co-defendant in the Folkenroth case.
• Walter Johnson Jr., 21, another co-defendant, charged with arson, residential burglary and theft by receiving, has been set for trial Aug. 28.
• Another co-defendant, James Johnson, 18, charged with arson and residential burglary, was set for pretrial Oct. 9.
• Sabrina Reid, 22, also a co-defendant with the Johnsons and Folkenroth, was set for pretrial Oct. 9. She has been charged with arson and residential burglary.
• Former Clinton School employee Kevin Widener, 34, charged with sexual assault-second degree, got a trial date of Oct. 11. It will be a jury trial.
• Tyler Lamastus, 33, facing drug and weapons charges, was set for pretrial Oct. 9.
• Chad Everette Brown, charged with failure to comply with sex offender reporting requirements, was set for a bench trial for Sept. 20.
• John Edward Prevost II, 32, charged with failure to comply with sex offender reporting requirements, was set for pretrial Oct. 9. The defendant is in custody.
• Kenny Slack, 35, charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, battery-second degree and aggravated assault, was sentenced to 60 months in the Department of Correction with 12 months suspended. He received 180 days jail time credit.
Late last month, on July 24, Division 1 Circuit Judge Charles Clawson was in town. Some of the cases considered that day were:
• Craig Lancaster, 60, charged with felony theft of property, Pretrial was set for Sept. 5.
• Chase Ward, 20, charged with sexual indecency with a child. Pretrial was set for Sept. 5 and a jury trial for Sept. 28.
• Charles Daniel Kirkendoll, 22, charged with rape, was set for pretrial Sept. 5. He is accused of having oral sex with a 12-year-old.
• Rosendo Meek, 22, charged with manslaughter in the May 4 death of Clinton attorney Brett Blakney, was set for pretrial Sept. 5. His bond was reduced to $20,000.
• Kaleb Kirkendoll, 28, charged with battery-first degree, aggravated assault, resisting arrest, fleeing, was set for pretrial Sept. 5. An Act III mental evaluation has been ordered.