A former employee in the South Side-Bee Branch School District pleaded guilty Monday in Circuit Court to second-degree sexual assault.
Shawna Lynn Ward had been scheduled for trial this week, but instead she pleaded guilty to a lesser charge than the original first-degree sexual assault count, and was sentenced to 60 months probation.
Ward was one of three school employees in the county to be charged with sexual assault last spring. The other two, both men employed by the Clinton School District, pleaded guilty to sex-assault charges and were sentenced to prison.
Also in Circuit Judge Charles Clawson’s courtroom Monday:
• Christopher Irby pleaded guilty to possession of drug paraphernalia-meth, and was sentenced to 48 months in the Arkansas Department of Correction.
• Vonda Moudy and Jimmy Moudy Sr., both charged with maintaining a drug premise and possession of drug paraphernalia-meth, waived their right to a speedy trial and were set for pre-trial on May 30. Vonda Moudy also is charged with endangering the welfare of a minor-third degree, while Jimmy Moudy faces the same charge, except first-degree instead of third-degree; both are Class D felonies.
• Penny Gaily Mahaney was sentenced to 36 months in the Department of Correction after pleading guilty to possession of drug paraphernalia-meth. Other drug charges were nol prossed.
• David C. Farwell Jr. was sentenced to 48 months probation for criminal mischief-first degree. Other charges, including a felony theft charge, were nol prossed.
• Sam Frank Walley was sentenced to 24 months in a regional correction facility after pleading guilty to possession of a controlled substance.
• A pre-trial date of May 30 was set for John Paul Maxwell, charged with rape.
• Convicted murderer Rodney Jones was rescheduled for court on May 30. He is alleging that his defense was inadequate. He has been denied a public defender.
• Jerry Hausler has waived his right to a speedy trial and will be in court on May 30 to face charges including failure to register as a sex offender or report an address change.
• Harvey Dale Brown, facing charges of manufacturing marijuana and simultaneous possession of drugs and firearms, will have a pre-trial hearing on June 25.