Monday, Oct 21 , local students attended a beef cooking “demonstration and tasting” at Petit Jean Electric community room.
Sixty students from Shirley, Clinton and South Side food and nutrition classes attended and were taught about beef (its nutrition benefits to diets, the various cuts and how to cook them).
Two recipes from the website:beefitswhatsfordinner.com were chosen to be cooked as demonstration to the students how a quick, delicious and nutritious beef entree can be prepared.
Local sponsors of the event were Van Buren County Farm Bureau and Van Buren County Cattlemen Association.
Donette Stump, the Arkansas Beef Council Coordinator, was the guest speaker. The Arkansas Beef Council supplied ingredients for the demonstration.
Regina Chaney, the UA Cooperative Extension Family & Consumer Science Agent for Van Buren County presented a program on where food comes from.
Popcorn Steak Bites
1 lb. beef Cubed Steaks, cut ½ inch thick
6 cups ridged potato chips (any flavor)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pepper
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
Dipping Sauces: Ranch or Thousand Island dressing, mustard , ketchup
or barbecue sauce
1. Cut beef steaks into 1x1 inch pieces; set aside
2. Place chips in bowl of food processor. Cover; pulse on & off til crumbs
3. Combine flour & pepper in a shallow bowl. Place crushed chips & eggs into two additional shallow bowls. Dip steak pieces in flour, then into egg, then into crushed chips, turning to coat all sides & pressing chips onto steak pieces.
4. Spray rack of broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place beef bites on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 6 inches from heat. Broil 8 to 10 minutes or until 160 degrees F. Serve immediately with dipping sauces.
Sweet Potato Beef Mash Up
1 lb. Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
½ cup water, divided
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix, divided
1 large sweet potato, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup Greek or regular nonfat yogurt
½ to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Chopped fresh cilantro
Small whole wheat flour tortillas (6 to 7 inch diameter), warmed (optional)
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into ½ inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings. Stir in ¼ cup water and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning; cook 3 minutes. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
2. Combine sweet potatoes, onion, remaining ¼ cup water and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning in same skillet. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once. Remove lid; stir in oil; continue cooking , uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or until potatoes are tender and begin to brown, stirring frequently. Return beef mixture to skillet; continue to cook 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently.
3. Meanwhile, combine yogurt and hot sauce, as desired, in small bowl.
4. Evenly divide beef mixture into tortillas, if desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve with yogurt mixture.